DIY and Free Websites How much do they really cost you?
Some of my new clients have asked questions about free and DIY websites and I wanted to share my thoughts on this with you too.
You’re a gardener, not a web marketing professional!
Ok, so you may not be a gardener, the point is that whether you are running a business, planning an event, promoting your services, products or brand, your time is valuable! Unless you already know design and marketing, you will have to spend a considerable amount of time learning how to do those things if you want to build your own site. A lot of what you’ll learn, you’ll never use again.
Free websites may have hidden fees, and you’re still in charge of the hardest part of the process: crafting and approving your brand and content. There are lots of questions to have answered. May I suggest some of the most important ones? They’re below.
Building Your Own Website How long will this project take you and what impact will this have on your business?
Building your own website can be a fun experience or it can make you tear your hair out. It all depends on what you like to spend your time doing. Are you a true marketing professional, knowledgable about building and promoting a business, products, services and brand?
You will make decisions regarding content, optimization and publication. Ask yourself:
- Do you have the time to take away from your business to build your own website? Try and estimate how much time it will take you, compared to the cost of hiring someone to do it for you.
- Mobile friendly websites are crucial. Do you know the best way to target your audience on mobile? Would an app work better for your brand?
- Do you have a good grasp of your market and how to promote your brand?
- Are you familiar with best practices when it comes to website optimization?
- Will you have time to keep your website updated and optimized?
- Do you know how to make your website secure?
- Do you know how to create all of your social media graphics to be cohesive with your brand?
These are just a few of the questions you should ask yourself before starting a DIY web build. If these challenges sound like something you can and want to handle, go for it! You are ready to join the community of professionals who are building awesome websites!
A Happy Compromise
For my clients who have the time and resources to keep their sites updated or expand on what I build for them, I offer a Wordpress based á la carte package. Your website is initially designed and built out for you, along with providing customized training time, where you’ll learn how to update and manage your website on your own.
Be sure to get all of your questions answered for a free offer.
- Will there be any charges in the future?
- Can you update the website yourself?
- What are the website’s limitations? Ask for specifics.
- Many firms outsource their actual work and only employ sales teams. You should know who is building your marketing pieces and trust them with your business.
Getting Back to Business
You will have both a great website, and still stay true to the love and passion you have for your business. You can also avoid the inconvenience of frustrating hours spent on the computer, figuring out how to build a website and market your business at the same time.
Stay focused on your core business, meet new clients, train employees, build your brand, and plan your next move – leave the technical part of website building to those who are in the website building business.
If you already have a platform or would like to use one but need a little help, we offer support for that. Wordpress.com, SquareSpace, Shopify, WIX, GoDaddy’s builder, Drupal and many others Contact us for our support rates.