How do you know which one you need?
Many startup clients who come to me, requesting a website or print design, haven’t yet come up with their brand’s identity. A logo is a tool to help communicate and represent a brand. They go hand in hand. A designer will be able to better help you with your logo if you can communicate a clear vision of your brand.
If you haven’t done this, a branding conversation is necessary in order to design a logo that’s right for you.
But, if you do have a clear idea about your brand and how it should be represented, great! We can start working on the logo design based on that.
Here are a few questions you should know the answers to, for your first conversation about your logo:
- What is the overall message you want to portray with your brand?
- What should people feel when they see or think of your brand?
- Summarize the above answer into 5 descriptive keywords; feminine, masculine, brave, bold, classic, modern, bold, etc.
- What are your personal preferences?
- Gather some logos you like, as well as outline any colors you would like to explore or avoid. If you have any specific icons / symbols / images that you would like to associate with your brand, please also collect them or examples.
- Who are your competitors? List and describe the ways you set yourself apart from them.
- Look around at logos of some successful brands and think about how they make you feel and how that is conveyed to you.
All of these tips will help you come closer to finding the voice of your brand.
What’s next? How do I engage with a designer?
Not all designers can help you with branding so if you need that, be sure to ask. Next, sit down with the designer and either ask them to help you build your brand or design the logo that you have in mind. You may not have decided on the exact look but you know what you want and how you want it to feel based on the above questions. Write those things down and also prepare any visual examples you’d like to share with the designer.
Virtue Media Inc., can help you design your branding and logo. Send us a quick message here.